You can share money in real time1 card to card from your Alterna Prepaid Mastercard to a Prepaid Mastercard issued by banks in Mexico and Nicaragua2. You can also share money real time with other Alterna cardholders. To share money is quick and easy! Simply log into your online account on your PC, iPad or mobile phone and follow the instructions. You can also share money with other Alterna cardholders in the U.S. via phone using Alterna’s Text Messaging feature. Click here for instructions on sharing money via Text Messaging3.
Once you have enrolled for your Alterna card via our enrollment site, you will be asked if you would like to enroll Family and Friends for personalized Prepaid Mastercard cards in Mexico and Nicaragua. You will be asked to provide their name, birth date, address, Cell Phone Number and e-mail address. The banks in the respective countries will contact them directly. In Mexico the bank will deliver the cards directly to their homes and in Nicaragua, they will pick up the cards at the bank. There is no upfront fee for the cards. However, there will be a $9.95 activation fee which will be debited from the card in Mexico at the time of the first load.There is no activation fee for the cards in Nicaragua.
The cardholders in Mexico and Nicaragua can withdraw funds from ATMs4 and receive Cash Back from participating retailers3.They can use their cards to make purchases at retailers and online and pay bills anywhere that Mastercard debit cards are accepted worldwide.They can also manage their card via their online card account.There are no monthly or annual fees on the cards5.
Transfer up to $1,000 per day: $6.00 Fee to Mexico and $5.00 Fee to Nicaragua1, 6
Transfer up to $2,000 per month1, 6 (to be shared between all Referral cards in Mexico and Nicaragua)
Mexico Referral Card: Balance Limit and Monthly Transfer Limit is $17,400 pesos, that is approximately $850 USD
Nicaragua Referral Card: Balance Limit and Monthly Transfer limit is $2,000 USD
Before transferring money onto your Family’s Referral card, contact them to be sure that the amount you are sending does not exceed their card balance limit or the limit they can receive per month.
Share up to $500 per transaction: $1.75 fee
Total Daily Sharing: $950
Total Monthly Sharing: $3,000
1. Receipt of funds is contingent upon connectivity and an approved card issued by the recipient’s bank.
2. MetaBank® is not affiliated with, nor does it endorse the recipient’s bank nor the card issued by the recipient’s bank.
3. Third-Party fees, standard text messaging fees, and/or data rate fees may apply.
4. When you use an ATM, you may be charged an additional fee by the ATM operator or any Network used to complete the transaction (and you may be charged a fee for a balance inquiry even if you do not complete the transaction).
5. There is a monthly inactivity fee if there is 120 days of inactivity.
6. The government of the local bank’s country may impose lower limits.